Saturday, July 23, 2011

More of the Cute Girls...

As you can see, I've started filling in the background.  I'm adjusting lights and shadows on the girls as more colors are introduced with the flowers.
This is where I am starting today!

I have received a couple of emails asking about time spent on a portrait.  It depends on so many things: size, number of subjects, amount of detail.  On this particular pastel, what you see above is 20 hours.  I estimate at least another 10 before I'm ready for the client to view.  Although ~ my clients are welcome to see the work at any time during the process.

I work in 30 minute "pomodoro" (my timer) segments.  Actually, it's 25 min. then I back off for 5 minutes.  This works well for me, because with pastels I stand at my easel, and when my timer goes off, I can move around a bit, mark my time, and wash the pastel off my hands.  I find that this allows me to really focus on what I'm doing and it relieves me from the parental tendency to watch the clock.  Also, my kids know that if the timer is a-tickin' ~ unless it's a 911 situation ~ don't interrupt!

Okay, time to set that timer!

elizabethannfrazier@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. I really admire your stamina when you work on these commissions and seeing the process is fascinating.Its coming along beautifully. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great strategy Elizabeth! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely fantastic!! I love the composition and all of those colors in the background making those 2 precious girls just pop off the page. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete