Thursday, July 11, 2019

Jelly Bean ~ "a total diva"


8" x 10" oil on wrapped canvas


It was an honor and joy to paint this portrait of Jelly Bean. She was commissioned by co-workers for Dee Ratcliff. Can you imagine you and your precious pet being so loved?

Here is a small part of Jelly's story as told by Dee:

Her story, well I had lost my Boston Terrier who was my everything. After a year of being sad, my friends took me to a pet store. I have always been against this and wouldn't you know my dream dog was there! I still have guilt over buying a dog from a pet store! Ok, this is not about my guilt but about the girl that brought me back to life! Jelly did that! She made me excited to get up again. She was a total diva and commanded respect! I still had my English bulldog, Torre. She became Mama Torre, she loved Jelly! Jelly would fight her over toys and antagonize her because Jelly was the total alpha! Jelly was my perfect baby!

~ She was diagnosed with bone cancer and given 4-6 months. She lived for another year and a half! I know she did that for me. I lost my brother a few years back and didn't handle it well. My Jelly watched me not handle it well. I believe that is why she fought so hard to be here for me. Sadly, the cancer progressed. She put up such a fight but the cancer had obviously gotten into her brain. I knew I couldn't let her keep fighting. She became so lost and I couldn't watch her suffer. I cry thinking about that day, but I know she is in heaven with Geronimo and Mama Torre! It's not fair that our beloved pets can't live longer lives. 

~ I was incredibly touched by your painting! I look at it and see my girl looking back!


Dee is a dog groomer and fellow artist. Dee's art has been on hold for awhile, but she has been inspired to begin again! Hurray for new beginnings! I look forward to seeing her creations! I'm thinking Jelly Bean would be happy about it as well!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting Liz!!! yes, hurray for new beginnings. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Azra! I love your latest florals btw!

    ReplyDelete